Chilli Con Carne with Rice
This is one of those dishes that everyone does differently. This is a simple version provided by Sodexo that you can knock up in an hour from start to finish.
If you fancy, you could swap the minced beef and beef stock cube for Quorn mince and a vegetable stock cube for a meat free “Chilli Sin Carne.”
Some people add a chunk or two of dark chocolate to mellow things out a bit.
All ingredients are available from the Broadgate Park shop and when cooking between four of you it will cost less than £1.25 per person….bargain!
Ingredients for 4
250g minced beef
2X fresh onions
1X tin of kidney beans
1X teaspoon of garlic puree
¼X teaspoon chilli powder or fresh chillies to taste
1X pinch of cinnamon
1X cup full of Long grain rice
1X dessert spoon of Vegetable oil
1X beef stock cube
1X jar of tomato passata
Salt and Pepper to taste
· Dice the onions
· Heat a large sauce pan with vegetable oil, then add the beef, and cook till brown.
· Add the chopped onions, garlic, chilli, cinnamon and stock cube, then cook for 5 minutes.
· Add the kidney beans. I like to give them a quick wash first under the cold tap.
· Add the tomato passata, just enough to cover the beef.
· Turn the heat right down to a simmer, just so you get a couple of bubbles rising.
· Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to stop the chilli burning.
· After 45 minutes, fill 1 clean coffee cup with rice.
· Put this in a microwaveable container and cover with 2 cups of water.
· Cover this with a lid or cling film and cook on high in the microwave for 2 minutes.
· After 2 minutes, CAREFULLY remove the lid, watching for steam, stir the rice, replace the lid and cook for another 2 minutes. Then stir again and taste. It may need a final minute depending on how you like your rice.
· Turn off the heat on the chilli and check the seasoning.
· Serve on top of a bed of rice.
You can also serve it with tortillas instead of the rice, just warm them in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then again, how about serving it on a bed of nachos topped with grated cheese, sour cream and guacamole?